Sunday, April 18, 2010
The hardest ingredient to find, of course, is the barley malt syrup. None of the regular grocery stores have it, but I found a jar at our local PCC.
Putting the dough together was really easy. The sponge was a snap, and the rest came together pretty quickly. I did part of the kneading in machine, and part by hand when the machine started chugging as the dough got thicker. Window pane test passed, I formed my roll form, and let them rest.
The forming of the ring felt really natural. I used method one in the book, which is basically piercing it with your thumbs and using them to create the hole. Worked really well. Float test worked on the first try, and in the fridge they went.
Next morning, I got my water boiling and my oven pre-heated, and got to making them. I went for the 60 second per side boil, and I got a lightly chewy bagel.
Flavor was good. I imagine these are more authentic than store-bought. The barley malt syrup gave them a flavor that was unusual to me. Not bad, per se, just unusual and unexpected.